Taking on Run the Month: Marathon Edition? We’re here to help. Below you can find ideas, hints, tips and downloads to help you smash your challenge:
- Get a plan in place early How are you going to make up the 26.2 miles? You could decide to do 6.5 miles a week, or smash your miles in a couple of days. Remember to let people know your plan so they can come and cheer you on from the pavement. Whether you aim to run, jog, walk or wheel, getting a plan sorted early will help keep you motivated and give you more time to fundraise.
- Set up your online fundraising page This is a great way to collect donations online. You can encourage more donations by making your page stand out with a picture and a story about why you’re taking part. Once you've created your page follow our guide to add a picture and update your story.
- Spread the word Do your friends and family know about your epic challenge? Share your challenge plans on your social media pages, wear one of our branded tops to spread awareness and shout it from the rooftops - you’re doing something incredible! Local papers are always looking for a great story, so let them know what you’re up to. You can also contact Prostate Cancer UK for a template press release and ongoing support. You can create your own poster here too!
- Kickstart your fundraising Self-donate to your own page to get the pounds rolling in. Dipping into your wallet and donating to yourself isn’t cheating – it’s the best way to reach your fundraising target. Fundraisers who donate to their own page raise on average 42 per cent more! Your friends and family will soon follow suit. You can also download a sponsorship form to keep track of any offline donations.
- Ask the boss! Find out if your company operates a Matched Giving scheme to boost your fundraising total. Contact your Head of Corporate Social Responsibility, HR Director or Head of Internal Communications. Find out if there are any opportunities to spread the word to your colleagues. You could add your donation page link to your email signature and see if you can publicise your story on your intranet to help generate sponsorship.
- Thank your sponsors It’s up to you how you want to do this, some people send emails, some send cards, whatever works for you. The most important thing is that you take the time to thank the people that donated to your cause - they’re doing an amazing thing!
Prostate cancer affects 1 in 8 men in the UK. That’s thousands of dads, grandads, partners, brothers, uncles and mates. By taking part and raising money, you’ll help to fund vital research into better tests and treatments to help beat prostate cancer.